Curbside Recycling is offered by Waste Connections in conjunction with your curbside trash pickup. Recycling is picked up every other week on your regular scheduled trash day and needs to be at the curb by 6am. Recycling is picked up by a separate truck so don’t be alarmed if one is picked up earlier in the day than the other.
If you need a Recycling cart please call the Utility Clerk at Choctaw City Hall at 405-390-8198. There is no charge for Recycling bins. For issues with Recycling pick up, please call Waste Connections directly at 405-745-2942. You can download the calendar here 2017 Recycle Calendar.
The following items can be placed in the Waste Connections Recycle cart:
- Metal: Steel cans, Aluminum cans, Clean aluminum foil, Pie pans (2″ or larger), Metal jar lids, Steel bottle caps, Metal food cans and beverage containers, Empty aerosol cans.
- Glass: Glass bottles and jars (clear, green, amber, brown and blue)(please rinse).
- Paper: Office paper (staples okay), Computer paper, Junk mail, Magazines, Newspapers (glossy inserts okay), Phone books, Catalogs, LIght-colored paper, Corrugated cardboard (max. 12″ x 24″ per piece), Cereal/soda boxes, Paper egg cartons, Milk cartons, Juice cartons, Paper bags, Greeting cards, Blueprints, Dry cleaning bags.
- Plastic: Plastic containers (#1-#7 on bottom), Milk jugs, Butter/Margarine containers, Pop/water bottles, Detergent bottles, Screw-on caps are allowed.
The following items are Prohibited in the Waste Connections Recycle cart:
- Metal: Scrap metal, Foil paper, Needles or Syringes.
- Glass: Light bulbs, Plates, Vases, Drinking glasses, Window glass, Mirror glass.
- Paper: Paper ream wrappers, Microwave trays, Shredded paper, Hard-cover books, Frozen food containers, Tissues, Paper towels, Napkins, Waxed paper or waxed cardboard, Stickers or sheets of address labels, Styrofoam, Diapers, Photographs.
- Plastic: 6 pack holders.
- Miscellaneous: Any municipal solid waste, Any hazardous items, Yard waste.
Recycling other items:
Cardboard can be taken to the Midwest City Recycling Center located on Jim White Drive just east of the City Service Center located at 8730 S.E. 15th St. The unmanned cardboard recycling center is open seven days a week from daylight to dark. Cardboard being deposited into the recycle bins must be broken-down and free from any food.
Electronics can be recycled by Best Buy located at 7231 S.E. 29th St, Midwest City, OK 405-733-4829. They recycle most electronics, see their website or contact Best Buy for more information. Office Depot located at 112 N. Air Depot Blvd, Midwest City, OK 405-737-8463 also has an electronics recycling program with cost ranging from $5 to $15. Size and weight restrictions apply. Call for more information or visit their website.
The Salvation Army accepts donations of working electronics and appliances. Donations are tax deductible, just ask for a receipt when your items are picked up. You can call 1-800-SA-TRUCK to schedule a home pick up or check out their website for more information.
There are Paper and Magazine and Clothing Recycling Bins located in most of the Choctaw School Parking Lots and several of the Church parking lots as well. Look for the large metal bins and read the posted signs for acceptance guidelines.
BE AN EVERYDAY ENVIRONMENTALIST, REDUCE, REUSE, AND RECYCLE!!!